5 Outdoor Events that You Won’t Want to Miss in Baton Rouge
School is back in session, football teams are gearing up, tailgates are planned, and cooler weather will start sweeping over Louisiana’s capital city (well, ok, the cool weather might happen later!) August, September, and October are wonderful months to experience outdoor activities throughout the city.
I’ve included my favorite outdoor activities for this time of year below, and I hope the inspires you to make and experience your own “To-Do” list for outdoor activities.
My Top Five Outdoor Activities:
1. Renting paddleboats at BREC’s City Park Lake at May Street beach. Boat rentals are available at the lake every Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays through the end of September. The fee is $10 per half hour. Renters must be 18 or older; however, a parent can sign for a child who is 12 or older. GET DETAILS.
2. Whether you run like a cheetah or waddle like an armadillo, the 2011 ZOO ZOOM 5K and ½ Mile Kids’ Fun Run is for you. You’ll enjoy the scenery as you scamper, trot or gallop your way through BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo on Aug. 27, 2011. Race day registration will open at 6:30 a.m. at the front entrance of the Zoo, and ONLINE REGISTRATION is currently available.
3. The Play Dirty Adventure Trail Run on Sept. 17 features 12 challenges along the 3 mile route at the Baton Rouge Fairgrounds. Experience the giant mud pit, slip and slide slalom, dark mystery cave, and tunnel slosh to name a few. All fitness levels are welcome.
4. Looking for something different for dinner? Check out the Food Truck Wround-Up on Wednesday evenings when Baton Rouge’s food trucks gather in one location! The food’s always great, the music is fun, and the people are friendly.
5. Kick of your weekend at the Live After Five Concert Series. Music artists come together to perform live music in downtown Baton Rouge every Friday after 5 p.m. Due to construction in Galvez Plaza, the temporary location of the Fall 2011 series is the new A.Z. Young Park at 755 Third Street at the intersection of Third Street and Lafayette Street.
Fall 2011 Schedule
Sept. 9: Satisfaction (Rolling Stones Tribute)
Sept. 23: Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience (Zydeco)
Sept. 30: To Be Announced
Oct. 7: Flow Tribe (Party Mix)
Oct. 14: The Chris LeBlanc Band with Big Luther Kent (Rock and Blues)
Oct. 21: Ernest Scott and the Funk Children (Funk and Soul)
Oct. 28: To Be Announced
- Live Music in the 225! March 4-14, 2010
- Live Music in the 225! 12/10-12/20
- Live Music Thursdays! Holiday Edition!
- Live Music Thursdays! 11/19-11/29!
- Live Music in the 225 2/25-3/7!