The Red Stick is Running
It’s officially spring in Baton Rouge- The azaleas are blooming, baseballs are flying, Abita Strawberry’s are in the fridge, crawfish are boiling, and the locals are RUNNING! I just wanted to highlight a few community fitness events that I’m looking really forward to this spring. I hope you’ll enjoy reading about them, and comment to add your own favorite running/fitness event!
- The Fat Boy 5K Run is sure to please with gastronomic fattening foods post-race such as sausage poboys, beer, donuts, chocolate milk and coke products! This event is on April 14th at Highland School.
- Happy’s 5000, the social running event of the year will begin at the North Boulevard Town Square on April 28th! This event offers music, art, and food on top of several athletic events. Also, don’t forget about the Happy’s Running Club, which meets year-round on Tuesday evenings. Runners of all levels are welcome to join, and socialize after at Happy’s Pub on Third Street.
- Not a runner, but enjoy other types of fitness workouts? Try doing yoga in the brand new North Boulevard Town Square for a unique exercise experience! Karmady Yoga, a new Yoga studio downtown is offering free classes in the Town Square on Tuesday evenings from 4:45p.m.-6p.m. ( just before the Happy’s Running Club meets).
- The Girls on the Run of Greater Baton Rouge will host its semi-annual 5k event on May 5th. The Girls on the Run program focuses on teaching young girls engaging lessons to help them develop self-confidence and healthy lifestyle habits as they train to run a 5k. This community-wide event is a celebration for the Girls on the Run program participants, and the proceeds from the event benefit the Girls on the Run Scholarship Program. Race participants will enjoy a celebratory pancake breakfast and music after the race!
- Live Music in the 225! March 4-14, 2010
- Live Music in the 225! 12/10-12/20
- Live Music Thursdays! Holiday Edition!
- Lace Up Your Dancing Shoes, Baton Rouge
- Show your Tiger Pride Downtown!